We see Louisiana at the bottom of a lot of national rankings–especially when it comes to our roads and bridges. It’s a bummer. Obviously, just focusing on the bad stuff can make Louisiana seem like a terrible place to live. But as real Louisianians, we know better. We know that the food, culture, and outdoors make the Bayou State great. (And thankfully, plenty of our visitors know it too!) So, let’s focus on what’s GOOD about Louisiana, and why we can’t let our roads and bridges bring us down!
What’s GOOD About Louisiana
Louisiana Economic Development is responsible for strengthening the state’s business environment and creating a more vibrant Louisiana economy. They’re one of the best sources for what’s good about living and working in Louisiana. Here’s some of what they’ve recently rounded up:
- Louisiana has the 7th-best living environment. Chief Executive magazine has been a resource for professionals since the 1970s. In a recent ranking of Best & Worst States for Business, it named Louisiana as No. 7 for the best living environment. Maybe our trademark Southern hospitality has something to do with that…
- Louisiana is the happiest state in the country. In 2014, six Louisiana cities ranked in the top 10 happiest cities in the United States. Remember, there are more than 300 cities in the United States with a population of 100,000 or more. And SIX of the happiest are right here! That’s definitely something to smile about.
- Louisiana has the 4th-lowest cost of living in the country. The ACCRA Cost of Living Index compares the cost of living in urban areas based on the price of consumer goods and services. That includes housing, health care, groceries, and transportation. A few years ago, it ranked Louisiana as the state with the 4th-lowest cost of living in the country.
- Louisiana welcomes 200,000 outdoor enthusiasts each year. Our hunting, fishing, and recreation are some of the best—and most scenic—in the WORLD. Louisiana isn’t called a “Sportsman’s Paradise” for nothing! One highlight is the Southwest Louisiana’s Creole Nature Trail. It’s a 180-mile scenic byway that attracts more than 200,000 visitors each year.
- Louisiana has the 3rd-lowest property taxes. Finally, Louisiana is one of the most affordable states in the country to own a house. Welcome home, y’all!
What’s DELICIOUS About Louisiana
Thrillist and Far and Wide both rank Louisiana in the top five states with the best foods. As one article said, “Eating is an experience in Louisiana, and one meant to be savored.” From a fine-dining perspective, we’re no slacker. New Orleans alone has 22 James Beard-award-winning restaurants. And no offense to those fancy places, but we all know the BEST food is cooked in our MawMaws’ kitchens. Gumbo, étouffée, crawfish boils, fish frys, meat pies, beignets, boudin, pralines, king cake… OK, we’ve got to stop, we’re getting hungry!
We Can’t Let Our Roads Bring Us Down!
As you can see, we’ve actually got A LOT going for us here in Louisiana. however, there is one looming threat to our successes. Our crumbling roads and bridges. That’s why we formed the Louisiana Coalition to Fix Our Roads. Part of our mission is to educate the citizens of Louisiana—AND our elected officials—on the dire condition of our state’s roads and bridges. They’re costing us money, wasting our time, and even risking our lives. It’s time we DEMAND action from our governor and legislature. Tell us your stories using our online form, our Facebook page, our Twitter account. Louisiana has too much going for it to let our roads drive it all away!